Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Light a Candle and You Will See Your Future

One of my favorite scenes in Almost Famous is William's discovery of the records that Anita has left under his bed. As he thumbs through them, there is both a sense of wonder as well as the forbidden that fills him up. Crowe does an excellent job of directing William here, having him run his hands over the albums to touch them, as they could possibly jump to life in front of him.

As music has always been a part a huge part of my life, I want to begin a musical legacy for Jimmy to help guide him through his teen and early adult years. These years are a bear to navigate through, and I hope these albums can help his travels. Below are scenarios that he will undoubtedly encounter on his journeys and the musical road map to help guide the way.

Off we go...

"My voice is changing, yesterday dad was my hero now I hate him and what are those things that smell pretty and have long hair and why won't they talk to me..."

Siamese Dream - The Smashing Pumpkins

No one does the male teenage psyche better than Corgan, and this is his tour de force. Kinda tough for a band when you blow it all on the first go round, but ain't that like a teenager! In 45 minutes we get - rebellion ("Rocket"), introspection ("Disarm"), unrequited love ("Hummer"), rage ("Cherub Rock"), and wonderment ("Today") - just another day in the life of a teenager.

When he becomes an unappreciative, unhappy bastard

Definitely, Maybe - Oasis

What made this album so great was that it flied in the face of what was ruling the airwaves in the early '90s - grunge. "Live Forever" was a direct assault on the Seattle scene, its negativity and its self-loathing. Tracks like "Rock 'n Roll Star" and "Cigarettes and Alcohol" threw away the notion of the lonely, imprisoned rock star and created a larger-than-live ideal of what life on the road should be - FUN. If you can't enjoy attaining everything you've ever dreamed of, you're in the wrong business, cousin.

She just dumped him

The Man Who - Travis

I'll give him 24 hours to mourn, but I want this album on. I'll probably sit with him and talk about lost loves over a couple of pints of B&J's. "Why Does It Always Rain On Me?" and "Writing To Reach You" - c'mon - pretty much tailor made for these 24 hours (and no more...).

He needs to dump her

The First Four Years Collection - Black Flag

16 songs in ~30 minutes. The foot never comes off the gas for the whole ride. "Nervous Breakdown", "Machine", "No Values". I once lifted a car after listening to this album. These songs are like a bullet-proof vest against female tears. Use with caution.

The loss of a friend

Ritual de lo Habitual - Jane's Addiction

Don't think "Been Caught Stealing" - think "Classic Girl", "Then She Did" and "Three Days". All of us with wings...

Beginning Social Awareness 101

Rage Against the Machine - Rage Against the Machine

I don't agree with their politics, but they have passion about their cause and they are unrelentless in getting their point across to the listener. Whatever he chooses to do, this album is a playbook for action. This will teach him that AIM is not just a way of communicating online. This is the ultimate soundtrack for a revolution.

Questioning His Faith
(What's the Story) Morning Glory?- Oasis

Proof that God exists.

3 comments:

Marc Caputo said...

Good job, Paul.

But "London Calling" is one-stop shopping for all of the above.

And that reminds me, the first album I'm getting him is "Introducing the Hardline According to Terence Trent D'Arby"

Because there's no funk or traditional soul in that list and he won't be ready for Prince when I start giving him music.

Also, a rite of passage that you missed - the shitty, oh-God-don't-let-me-be-working- here-when-I'm-30 job (like, Staples?) - for that, I prescribe Sonic Youth's Daydream Nation.

Curious how no PJ or Springsteen show up here...

Paul Caputo said...

Good point about PJ and Bruce, but they weren't a go-to in my formative years. Although I love the Jam, I honestly find it hard to relate to a lot of their material internally. I think it is because Vedder is "too cool" - he doesn't have those insecurities that Corgan, Morrisey or Gallagher have. I can't see Vedder being "Jeremy".

Marc Caputo said...

Of course, this is all academic. The reason Lil' Jimmy's gonna be hurting at all is because the music he'll have available to him will undoubtedly SUCK. (OH! We forgot The Smiths - Jackasses, party of 2! Sorry Moz and Marr!) And of course, his DAD'S music must suck, right?

Can you see Marco J. offering us the solace of ABBA? Or worse, Mom saying - "Let's put on WHN."